ResNet Acceptable Use Policy
(Approved: May 1, 2001)
The Residential Networking (ResNet) program provides computer networking services and resources supporting the missions of the Housing and Residence Life Office and the University. It is the responsibility of every resident student to use these services and resources appropriately and in compliance with all University, local, state and federal laws. By connecting to ResNet, the user agrees to the terms and conditions outlined in this Acceptable Use Policy. Any violation of the policy may result in immediate discontinuation of service.
For specific examples of how you may and may not use ResNet, refer to the ResNet Acceptable Use Policy FAQs.
The residential network is a shared resource. Consequently,
- network uses or applications that use excessive bandwidth or otherwise interfere with the use of the network by others are not permitted.
- users generating excessive levels of network traffic, so as to negatively impact the ability of others to access the network, may have their service discontinued without warning to protect the integrity of the network.
- ResNet administration reserves the right to implement ad hoc traffic shaping policies to ensure an equitable share of network bandwidth for all users.
Privacy, Security and Shared resources:
- Data stored on a computer system or transmitted across the network is the property of the individual who created it, and examination, collection or dissemination of that data without authorization from the owner is in violation of the owner's rights to control his or her own property. However, ResNet administration reserves the right to gain access to a user's data if deemed necessary to maintain the integrity of the network or University systems, or to ensure compliance with other University rules.
- Users are expected to take reasonable precautions to ensure the security of their systems. Individuals may be held responsible for misuse by others that occurs on their systems.
- Users may not provide copyrighted software on a shared drive. Sharing access to copyrighted software or other copyrighted materials (including MP3 files from copyrighted music media, digitized video from copyrighted motion pictures, etc.), unless authorized by the copyright holder, violates the rights of the copyright holder.
- ResNet administration neither sanctions nor censors individual expressions of opinion on its systems. However, users choosing to share network drives or other resources should be advised that assigning lewd or indecent names to these resources may be in violation of the University’s sexual harassment policy (Kutztown University Policy 1991-304).
- Providing network services including, but not limited to, DHCP, DNS, IRC, NNTP, POP, SMTP and WINS, from user computers is prohibited.
- Commercial or for-profit use of ResNet is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, running a web server and accepting advertising.
- All IP addresses must be assigned by the ResNet DHCP server. Requests for static IP addresses will be evaluated by ResNet administration on a case-by-case basis.
- Network wiring, including data jacks, may not be modified or extended by users for any purpose.
- ResNet may not be used to provide Internet or network access to anyone outside of the resident community.
- Use of connected networks, including SSHEnet and the Internet, must be consistent with the rules and policies established for those networks by their providers.
- ResNet administration reserves the right to refuse service to any student who does not have a valid software license.
- Users seeking computer and/or network assistance from ResNet staff understand that such assistance is provided in good faith, and although ResNet staff will attempt to resolve any subsequent problems which may arise, neither Kutztown University nor ResNet staff can ultimately be held responsible for any hardware damage or loss of data.
- Users understand that all network activity is automatically logged on a continuous basis, and although these logs do not include personal information, they do include a record of user processes and may be examined by authorized system administrators.
The purpose of this policy is to protect the quality of the network. In some cases, minor infractions to the policy can be resolved informally by ResNet administration, usually through in-person discussion and education with the offending user.
Repeated or more serious infractions may result in immediate discontinuation of service, and the matter may be referred to the Division of Student Affairs for disciplinary action.
/groups/helpdesk/search/index.rss?tag=hotlist/groups/helpdesk/search/?tag=hotWhat’s HotHotListHot!?tag=hot6/groups/helpdesk/sidebar/HotListhelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2013-03-25 16:17:03+00:002013-03-25 16:17:03updated4helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2013-03-25 16:15:53+00:002013-03-25 16:15:53updated3Added tag - hothelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2013-03-25 16:15:51+00:002013-03-25 16:15:51addTag2First createdhelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2013-03-25 15:48:12+00:002013-03-25 15:48:12created1wiki2013-03-25T16:17:03+00:00groups/helpdesk/wiki/66be2FalseProblem: "I get an error trying to access the 'myhousing.kutztown.edu' website"/groups/helpdesk/wiki/66be2/Problem_I_get_an_error_trying_to_access_the_myhousingkutztownedu_website.htmlResNet Helpdesk4 updatesProblem: "I get an error trying to access the 'myhousing.kutztown.edu' website"
Some Macintosh users may see an error message similar to the one below when they try to visit myhousing.kutztown.edu:
[myhousing...Falsehelpdesk2013-03-25T16:17:03+00:00Added tag - hothelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2013-02-28 17:04:15+00:002013-02-28 17:04:15addTag4helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2013-02-28 17:04:04+00:002013-02-28 17:04:04updated3helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2013-02-28 17:02:36+00:002013-02-28 17:02:36updated2First createdhelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2013-02-28 17:02:09+00:002013-02-28 17:02:09created1weblog2013-02-28T17:04:04+00:00groups/helpdesk/weblog/7791eFalseCAMPUS ADVISORY: Warning from KU Information Technology and Dean of Students regarding Spam/Phishing-type emails/groups/helpdesk/weblog/7791e/CAMPUS_ADVISORY__Warning_from_KU_Information_Technology_and_Dean_of_Students_regarding_SpamPhishingtype_emails.htmlResNet Helpdesk4 updatesCAMPUS ADVISORY: Warning from KU Information Technology and Dean of Students regarding Spam/Phishing-type emails
To the University Student community:
Please be cautious and alert about Spam/Phishing-type emails. Please do not click any links i...Falsehelpdesk2013-02-28T17:04:04+00:00helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2013-02-21 15:58:40+00:002013-02-21 15:58:40updated3Added tag - hothelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2013-02-21 15:58:38+00:002013-02-21 15:58:38addTag2First createdhelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2013-02-21 15:40:50+00:002013-02-21 15:40:50created1wiki2013-02-21T15:58:40+00:00groups/helpdesk/wiki/5417cFalseWireless printers and ResNet/groups/helpdesk/wiki/5417c/Wireless_printers_and_ResNet.htmlResNet Helpdesk3 updatesWireless printers and ResNet
[wireless_print_server_icon.jpg]Many personal printers on the market offer wireless printing capability. Although this is a great feature in a ho...Falsehelpdesk2013-02-21T15:58:40+00:00helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2012-11-15 15:52:04+00:002012-11-15 15:52:04updated20Added tag - hothelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2012-11-15 15:51:00+00:002012-11-15 15:51:00addTag19helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2011-06-16 14:45:54+00:002011-06-16 14:45:54updated18helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2011-06-16 14:44:42+00:002011-06-16 14:44:42updated17helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2011-06-16 14:43:02+00:002011-06-16 14:43:02updated16Removed tag - hothelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2010-03-11 14:25:09+00:002010-03-11 14:25:09removeTag15helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2010-02-02 17:10:38+00:002010-02-02 17:10:38updated14helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2010-02-02 17:06:32+00:002010-02-02 17:06:32updated13helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2010-02-02 17:01:38+00:002010-02-02 17:01:38updated12helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2010-02-02 17:00:12+00:002010-02-02 17:00:12updated11Added tag - ids and passwordshelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2009-12-22 19:17:24+00:002009-12-22 19:17:24addTag10helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2009-12-09 16:21:51+00:002009-12-09 16:21:51updated9helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2009-12-09 16:21:36+00:002009-12-09 16:21:36updated8helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2009-12-09 15:36:40+00:002009-12-09 15:36:40updated7helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2009-11-02 19:04:39+00:002009-11-02 19:04:39updated6helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2009-11-02 19:04:17+00:002009-11-02 19:04:17updated5helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2009-11-02 19:03:38+00:002009-11-02 19:03:38updated4Added tag - hothelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2009-11-02 15:58:56+00:002009-11-02 15:58:56addTag3helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2009-11-02 15:58:52+00:002009-11-02 15:58:52updated2First additionhelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2009-11-02 15:57:09+00:002009-11-02 15:57:09created1wiki2012-11-15T15:52:04+00:00groups/helpdesk/wiki/ddb5bFalseNetwork password expired? Don't let it happen to you.../groups/helpdesk/wiki/ddb5b/Network_password_expired_Dont_let_it_happen_to_you.htmlResNet Helpdesk20 updatesNetwork password expired? Don't let it happen to you...
For security purposes, network passwords automatically expire every 180 days. However, unless you set reminders for yourself to chan...Falsehelpdesk2012-11-15T15:52:04+00:00helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2012-10-02 14:33:31+00:002012-10-02 14:33:31updated4helpdeskResNet Helpdesk2012-10-02 14:32:20+00:002012-10-02 14:32:20updated3Added tag - hothelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2012-10-02 14:32:18+00:002012-10-02 14:32:18addTag2First createdhelpdeskResNet Helpdesk2012-10-02 14:31:27+00:002012-10-02 14:31:27created1weblog2012-10-02T14:33:31+00:00groups/helpdesk/weblog/5ae74FalseAVG 2013 not yet supported/groups/helpdesk/weblog/5ae74/AVG_2013_not_yet_supported.htmlResNet Helpdesk4 updatesAVG 2013 not yet supported
[9ea81.png]The recent release of AVG 2013 antivirus software is not supported by ForeScout. As a result, students who upgrade to AVG 2013 receive...Falsehelpdesk2012-10-02T14:33:31+00:00hot/groups/helpdesk/search/index.rss?sort=modifiedDate&kind=all&sortDirection=reverse&excludePages=wiki/welcomelist/groups/helpdesk/search/?sort=modifiedDate&kind=all&sortDirection=reverse&excludePages=wiki/welcomeRecent ChangesRecentChangesListUpdates?sort=modifiedDate&kind=all&sortDirection=reverse&excludePages=wiki/welcome0/groups/helpdesk/sidebar/RecentChangesListmodifiedDateallRecent ChangesRecentChangesListUpdateswiki/welcomeNo recent changes.reverse5search