Fall 2021 Hours:
Mon: 4:00pm-10:00pm
Tue: 12:30pm-10:00pm
Wed: 4:00pm-10:00pm
Thu: 12:30pm-10:00pm
Fri: 12:30pm-5:00pm
Sat: Closed
Sun: 4:00pm-10:00pm


D2L, Kutztown University's learning management system, is used to deliver the university's online courses, as well as to support the face-to-face classes.

Log into D2L...

MyKU is Kutztown University's student information system. It provides access for students to register for courses, view final course grades, make online payments, and more.

Log into MyKU...
Office 365

Every KU student receives a subscription to Microsoft Office 365. This subscription entitles students to download a full version of Office 365 on up to five different devices.

Log in and download Office 365...
KU student email

All students receive a @live.kutztown.edu email address for official university communication.

Log into student email...

Change my password...

Forgot my password...

Fall 2021 Hours:
Mon: 4:00pm-10:00pm
Tue: 12:30pm-10:00pm
Wed: 4:00pm-10:00pm
Thu: 12:30pm-10:00pm
Fri: 12:30pm-5:00pm
Sat: Closed
Sun: 4:00pm-10:00pm

ResNet FAQ
Last updated: 09/23/2021 12:02:57

Here you'll find the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions we receive regarding hardware, software, account information, TVs, Wi-Fi...

How do I get a KU username and password?

All students receive a unique KU username (User ID) shortly after applying to the university. Upon acceptance, the username is mailed to the student's home address.

Once you know your username, activate your account by visiting https://app.kutztown.edu/kuam and clicking the New applicant link. This process verifies your identity and lets you set up a password.

The KU username/password combination is used to access all systems: MyKU, email, campus wired and Wi-Fi networks, Desire2Learn, student payroll, lab computers, etc.

How do I get a KU email address?

You can start using your KU email address immediately after activating your account (see above). Your email address is your username (User ID) followed by @live.kutztown.edu (e.g. sgrif456@live.kutztown.edu).

Do I have to use my KU email address?

Absolutely! Official university communications, from administrators as well as your instructors, are sent to your KU email address.

What kind of computer should I buy?

There are no specific recommendations, so it's really a matter of personal preference. Most students bring either a MacBook or Windows laptop. A few students use Linux, but be aware that on-campus support for Linux systems is limited.

We do see some desktop computers, but space in a residence hall room is generally at a premium so most opt for a portable computer. 

If you don't have a personal preference, you may want to contact someone in the academic department of your intended major to see if they have any recommendation.

Click here for more detailed information regarding recommended computers.

What software do I need?

Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) is installed on all classroom and lab computers, so you'll probably want to install your own copy for compatibility.

That being said, you don't have to purchase Microsoft Office. All Kutztown University students are given a subscription to Microsoft Office 365. The Office 365 subscription lets students download free copies of Microsoft Office on multiple devices -- up to 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets and 5 smartphones. 

In addition, all KU students have access to free web-based versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote -- no installation required. Although these web-based versions don't have all the functionality of the full versions, they are adequate for most documents students need to create.

Office 365 is a subscription-based service, which means versions of Microsoft Office students download and install on their personal devices will no longer function after the student graduates or leaves the university.

If you decide to purchase a full version of Microsoft Office that you can use beyond your time at KU, be sure to check out the steeply-discounted student pricing available at the KU Campus Store.

Am I eligible for other discounted software or hardware?

Yes. KU students may purchase software and hardware at a discount through a program with Journey Ed.

What kind of anti-virus should I have?

It is the student's responsibility to keep his/her computer protected against viruses and updated with the last operating system patches. We don't require any specific anti-virus software, but make the following recommendations (all of which are FREE):

  • Windows - We recommend using Windows Defender which is built into the operating system. There's no need to purchase an additional anti-virus package.
  • macOS - We recommend Sophos Home.

What if my computer gets infected with a virus? 

If your computer becomes infected with a virus or malware and you have trouble getting rid of it, you can take your computer to our ResNet help desk for assistance. ResNet help desk services are free to all students who reside on campus.

Off-campus students are also able to take computers to our help desk, but there is a fee for that service.

Occasionally our network monitoring devices will detect an infected/compromised device on the network. When this happens, the device is blocked from the Internet and the owner is notified in order to get the device cleaned/patched and back online as quickly as possible.

Does Kutztown University sell computers?

The KU Campus Store does sell computers. Please contact the KU Campus Store for more information.

Can I use a laptop in class?

Classroom management rules can vary from class to class, so be sure to check with your faculty instructor.

How do I secure my laptop?

  • Never leave your laptop unattended in a public space.
  • It's a good idea to use a laptop cable/lock to physically secure it to a piece of furniture in your residence hall room.
  • To secure your data, set a screen saver that requires a password.

Many laptops offer hard drive encryption for added data security. For added peace of mind, some students have purchased and installed Absolute Home & Office software, which can allow police to locate computers that have been reported stolen.

Where can I get my computer repaired or serviced?

Students who live on campus can take their computer to the ResNet help desk. ResNet staff will try to assist residents with any type of technical problem. Here is a summary of services provided...

For issues ResNet staff aren't able to resolve, they will provide next-step advice to students.

Is the ResNet help desk an authorized repair service center?

No. ResNet won't perform any computer service that would jeopardize voiding an existing warranty.

Does the ResNet help desk charge a fee?

The ResNet help desk is a free service for students who live on campus.

Off-campus students are allowed to contact ResNet for assistance with personal devices, but are required to pay a fee ($19.00/half-hour) and services are subject to some limitations. (More info...)

Is Internet access included in the housing fee?

Yes. Internet access (Wi-Fi and wired) and cable television service within the residence halls are all included in the housing fee.

Is there Wi-Fi available in the residence halls?

Yes. There are more than 1,000 access points providing Wi-Fi access throughout all residential buildings.

The BearNet Secure Wi-Fi network is available in residential and non-residential buildings and offers a fully-encrypted connection. We strongly recommend that students use BearNet Secure on laptops, desktop computers, mobile phones,  and tablets.

The ResNet WiFi open network is available only in residential buildings and should be used for smart TVs, game consoles, and any other device unable to connect to BearNet Secure.

If I don't want to use Wi-Fi, can I have a wired connection to the Internet?

Yes. All residence hall rooms are equipped with wired network ports. Students need to provide their own Ethernet cable. If you have problems connecting to the wired port, please contact ResNet to be sure the port is enabled.

Ethernet cables can be purchased from the ResNet helpdesk. ($5 for 10ft cable; $10 for 25ft cable)

Can I use my own wireless router?

No. Routers create private networks that won't work when connected to the ResNet network. In addition, student-owned wireless routers can interfere with university-provided Wi-Fi service and degrade service to other students.

Do I need a printer?

It is convenient to have a printer in your residence hall room, but it's not a necessity unless you plan to do a lot of printing. There are public printers available around campus.

If you do bring your own printer, please plan to connect it directly to your computer with a standard USB printer cable. Although your printer may support Wi-Fi printing in your home, it's most likely not designed to work on a large, enterprise Wi-Fi network like we have on campus. (More info...)

Must I pay for printing? 

Not currently. Students are given a printing allocation of 300 pages per semester. If you happen to use up your allotment, you can request additional pages at no cost.

How strong is the cellular phone service in the residence halls? 

It obviously varies depending on your carrier and device. In the Golden Bear Village apartment complexes, cellular service is generally good.

Click here for further information...

Is my TV compatible with the cable service, or do I need a box? 

Most TVs don't require any type of converter box to work with the cable service. You will need a standard coaxial cable to connect your TV to the jack in your room.

To receive the full complement of 80+ channels, perform a channel/program scan on your TV to locate all available channels.

Will Google Chromecast work in my room?

No. Chromecast is designed to work on a small home network where your TV and the controlling computer/tablet/phone are connected to a single wireless router. It's not designed to work on large, enterprise wireless networks and can't be supported.

Will Apple TV work in my room?

Yes, Apple TV works on both the wired and wireless networks. Unless you're in Deatrick Hall, GBV South or University Place, you must register your Apple TV with ResNet before it will work.

Click here for instructions on registering your Apple TV.

Will my Amazon Echo/Alexa work in my room?

Yes, Amazon Echo devices do work. Unless you're in Deatrick Hall, GBV South or University Place, you must register your Amazon Echo with ResNet before it will work.

Click here for instructions on registering your Amazon Echo.